Sunday, March 20, 2011

My date with a "King"

Oh my, it finally happened !!! I finally got to meet the King. I have read about him since I was a child. My mother indulged me one Christmas with 2 books on Egyptology and Archeology. I still have those books today and they are among my most prized possessions.

I have watched any and all documentaries on the mummies, the crypts, the artifacts and the tombs. So many things in today's society conjure up memories of all I have seen and read. And now, meeting the object of my childhood dreams, amazing.

The 1st part of the exhibit was an intro into the world of the previous kings. They too are amazing. The sizes, materials and colors were amazing. Then you entered the "tomb" of the king. The exhibit was set up like his tomb - antechamber, burial chamber, treasury chamber......

The items I personally found completely mind boggling were the intricacies of the jewelry. I kept looking at the items envisioning a craftsman meticulously carving out each section. My hands and eyes hurt just to think of it.

The exhibit ended with a statue of King Tut. It was beautiful. And, he even had a belly button.

I indulged myself and bought memento's of this special and "once in a lifetime" event. But what made it so special and endearing was, I got to share it with my mom. The lady who indulged a young girl with a couple books and had conversations about them. What I did not know then was how much my mom also enjoyed Egyptology and King Tut and how excited she was also.

I am so happy I got to share this special time with my mom, and learned a little something I never knew before. I am thankful to learn these things about her now, so we can share them together. I love you mom, and thank you !!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy we got to see this wonderful exhibit together. I read every book in the library about Egyptology when I was a teenager. I even went so far as to send a letter to the Cairo Museum and ask if they could send me "a little piece of Egypt". What a blast that they finally sent an entire exhibit to me!!
    Thanks for sharing, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete